By Ritu Sharma on Feb 27, 2019
Sharing is caring!
Your home demands some repairs or renovations if there are some damages or if you want to change the look of your home as per your preference. These repairs or renovations are a costly affair. They might involve lakhs of rupees which might not be possible for you to fund. There are home loans and personal loans to offer you the required funds but these loans charge you additional interest. What if you can use your EPF funds for financing the repairs or renovations of your home?
The Employees’ Provident Fund is a fund wherein you and your employer contribute 12% of your salary (basic salary + dearness allowance) in order to create a fund for your retirement. Though EPF contributions are supposed to be used after you retire, there are provisions in the scheme for partial withdrawal of funds for specific purposes. Renovating or repairing your home is one such purpose for which you can use your EPF investments. Let’s understand how –
EPF withdrawal for home renovations and repairs
Partial withdrawal from EPF account is allowed subject to certain terms and conditions. These terms and conditions include the following –
● You can withdraw a maximum of 12 times your monthly salary (basic + dearness allowance) from the EPF account for repairs and renovations of the home
● The actual amount which you can withdraw would be lower of the cost of renovations, 12 months’ salary or your contribution to the EPF scheme.
● The cost of interior decoration would not be included in the cost of repairs or renovation when calculating the maximum amount of withdrawal from the fund
● You should have contributed to the EPF account for at least 5 years to become eligible for withdrawal. This means that a minimum service of 5 years must be rendered with EPF contributions for 5 complete years for partial withdrawals from EPF account to be permitted.
● The house should have been constructed at least 5 years before the date of withdrawal. This means that withdrawals are allowed for homes which are 5 or more than 5 years old.
● Only one withdrawal is allowed for repairs or renovations of the home. Even if 5 or more years have elapsed from the date of the last withdrawal, you wouldn’t be allowed to withdraw again for renovations or repairs of the house.
● The house on which repairs or renovations are being done should be in the name of the employee solely or jointly with his/her spouse
Documents required for withdrawals
For withdrawing from the EPF account, you would need to submit the following documents –
● EPF withdrawal form which should be duly filled
● Copy of your Aadhar card
● A cancelled cheque of your bank account for bank details wherein the money would be transferred.
Benefits of using EPF money
● You don’t have to pay interest. The amount you use is the amount which you have invested
● Withdrawal process is simple and money is credited to your account quickly
● The remaining account continues to grow for retirement
So, if home renovations or repairs are on your mind, use your EPF account balance to fund them.
You may also like
Introduction With the world heading towards new innovations, the traditional laundry system is also changing. The main focus is on adopting a cost-effective healthy...Read More
Indians have been living in a set of traditions and their own culture for a long time. But for the last few decades, we...Read More
Ottawa is well known for its great surroundings and family helpline centers for family counselling and other for other kinds of help. Cultural education...Read More
Home improvement is about bettering the functionality of the space and changing the decoration at the same time. In a way, home improvement is...Read More
When we are done fixing and decorating the other rooms that we have in our houses, it is now...
If you are operational in the telecom industry, you may need the facilities of an RF engineer for your...
There are three things you should know about your electric bill to save money. If you’re like me, you...
Despite the fact that Google keeps refreshes its highlights however keyword research is as yet one of the significant...
An unfortunate truth in modern time is that many people have bad credit score but they are in need...
American airlines one of the major airlines and its headquartered located in Fort Worth, Texas. It is also known...
The idea of a fitness or eating plan can seem all too cliche and for some people, this type...
Kerala is the Green Paradise, and the lush greenery embraces you everywhere. Whether in cities, suburban or rural village,...
Who does not love longer, fuller lashes? An attractive fluffier lash line could be a good addition to each...
When you are trying to get a mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration, you need to work with...
Have you ever wonder about watching the sunrise and beautiful sunsets? Have you wondered about seeing the wonderful and...
Now, at the peak of the popularity of credit products among citizens of our country, this question often becomes...